At last I think Google maybe taking on Facebook, last week they launched a lot of things along with a redesign of search results, but the most significant product they launched was Google +. It’s currently in beta but will soon be open to everyone and it will make a big impact!
There are so many social networks out there and we all predominately use Twitter and Facebook but Google + offers something different, well that’s what they are trying to convince us.
The big difference is that it’s meant for sharing with groups like colleagues, running friends or golf buddies it offers group text messaging and video chats, it be great for me in my job at an advertising agency to interact like this with clients and partners.
“…if you’re a publisher make sure you add the Google plus button to your website.”
And if you’re a publisher make sure you add the Google plus button to your website http://www.google.com/webmasters/+1/button/
Other cool features include:
• +Circles: share things you want to.
• +Sparks: start a conversation
• +Hangouts: say hello via video calls
• +Mobile: instantly upload and share content with your groups via mobile
Watch the quick tour here:
“In May, 180 million people visited Google sites, including YouTube, compared with 157.2 million on Facebook…”
How to use?
Simply sign up here to get on an invite waiting list:-
Once signed in the interface is very simple:
1) There are 4 main pages including “Home”, “Profile”, “Photos”, and “Circles”. These are at the top of your page.
2) Click the “Home” icon to access your Stream, Chat, and Hangouts all your content is displayed in the centre of the page.
3) You can filter the content you are currently viewing by choosing from your circles on the left hand side of the page.
4) Click “Photos” from the top of any page to view photos posted by people in your Circles and upload new photos to share on Google +.
5) Click the “Circles” button at the top of the page to create, view, and edit Circles. you can also view and manage friends and invite more fiends here.
6) Creating hangouts is simple once you’ve created a circle click on the hangouts feature in circles here you can instant message, video chat watch youtube videos with friends.
7) Create sparks by clicking sparks button on the left hand nav bar. this allows you to generate content you may be interested in and can share with your friends.
Google + is in special beta so some features may change. Google + is a really cool feature and will definitely impact on SEO.
Another key feature is some users of Google search will now see a google plus button next to search results, when you think your friends or followers may like the site just click the “+1” button.
“When your friends search for similar topic on Google, they would see your recommendation directly on Google search result pages and they will know what sites you recommend.”
When your friends search for similar topic on Google, they would see your recommendation directly on Google search result pages and they will know what sites you recommend.
It’s a great way for your friends and family to see what books, hotels and drug websites you recommend, hey they might even phone you for a chat and catch up.
Is Google too late?
Comscore in the US released a report mentioning:
• In May, 180 million people visited Google sites, including YouTube, compared with 157.2 million on Facebook.
• Users viewed 103 billion pages and spent an average of 375 minutes on the site, while Google users viewed 46.3 billion pages and spent 231 minutes.
So are Google to late to the party? The collaboration tools in Google plus are missing from major social sites, it may take time to catch on but I think this this is the best social product they have launched.
It be great to see what they allow developers to do from their api’s but features like circles and hangout’s would be great for social networks like doctors.net and it be great for clinical trials, to get instant feedback.
First campaign on Plus one is:
Ford are the first brand to jump onto Plus one with a campaign for a prize, where a caption with the most plus ones by readers get’s the prize. For more details visit: https://plus.google.com/101706905424480603755/posts/YT7oJh5Rx7g
As usual with social networking it’s up to you who survives, I hope Plus one survives and lay’s the foundations to social search.
About the author:
Faisal Ahmed is one of a handful of people in the UK that has been involved with digital for over 14 years, providing digital thought leadership to some of the biggest brands globally, also contributing to some of the best-selling books on digital, having been part of the start-up team at Amazon, defining how we shop online. Faisal has launched digital strategies for 90 football Clubs, the ECB and WRC. He also launched Playboy’s mobile and social media platforms in 2006 and one of the first online social networks. Over the last 2 years Faisal has been working in Healthcare winning over 15 awards and bringing to life both one of the first mobile apps and augmented reality in healthcare. Faisal is currently working at Life-Healthcare and can be found Tweeting here @sickonthenet and contacted on LinkedIn here http://www.linkedin.com/in/ahmedfaisal.
Will google+ be offering us something different?